Resources for policy makers and decision makers to support walking to school.
- In 1969, half of all kids walked to school. Today that number is less than 15%
- Today, nearly one in three young people are either obese or overweight
- The child obesity rate is four times greater among children ages 6-11 than it was a generation ago (the same rate has tripled for adolescents ages 12-19)
- Only one-third of children are getting DHHS’ recommended level of 60 minutes of moderate-to-vigorous physical activity per day
- Up to 30% of morning traffic comes from parents driving their kids to school, and traffic crashes are the top cause of injury and death to US kids under 18.
- Sample Walk to School Day proclamations and resolutions
- Complete Streets
- Joint Use Agreements
- School Siting
BikeWalkKC Safe Routes to School Services – Technical assistance, advice, and consulting to help schools design and implements Safe Routes to School Programs.
MARC Safety Ambassadors – Training for adults to conduct bike rodeos and other safety lessons.
Transportation Professional Development Series – BikeWalkKC and MARC’s partnership to provide real-world bicycle experience and share innovative infrasctructure ideas with the professionals who plan, design, and build the region’s biking and walking infrastructure.
Bike/Ped Webinars – MARC regularly hosts national webinars that provide continuing education opportunities for transportation professionals.