Today’s kids are the first generation in American history with a shorter life expectancy than their parents, largely because they are getting less physical activity in their daily lives.
Walking and biking to school is a great way to incorporate daily physical activity and improve your child’s health. And it helps in the classroom – kids that walk or bike to school burn off excess energy and show up ready to learn!
Encouraging your child to walk or bike to school is a way to instill in him or her the active habits that can contribute to a lifelong healthy lifestyle. But in addition to health benefits, there are intangible benefits as well. Many parents who have participated in a Walk to School Day or Bike to School Day say that the active trip to school has been a valuable way for them to spend time with their children and to socialize with other parents and neighbors.
How you can participate
- Check with your school to see if they are planning any events. If not, offer to help!
- Do you know of an event at your kids’ school that is not yet listed on our calendar? Click here to add it!
- Walk with your child on October 10th
- Volunteer at your school on the 10th
- Lead a “Walking School Bus” with kids in your neighborhood
- Recruit other parents to join you
Looking for ideas for your Walk to School Day event? Check out some ideas from around the metro area. Read more.