Find out how you can get your kids walking and how your family can be part of Walk to School Day.
This Spring, we launched Walking Wednesday! Get walking with your kids or start a “Walking School Bus” with kids in your neighborhood. Download stickers to print!
International Walk to School Day 2013 was a big success
On October 9th, 2013 a regional record of thirty-eight schools from sixteen school districts participated in this international event - a 21% increase from last year!
Here are some highlights from some of the schools that participated:
- James Elementary in Kansas City, Mo. promoted the event with student designed posters, door prizes, raffle prizes, and certificates for all walkers. They had over 220 students walk to school from home.
- Westview Elementary in Lee's Summit did a "walking school bus" on Tuesday morning. Families were encourage to meet teachers in the morning and walk the remainder of the way to school with them. About 3/4 of Westview staff were stationed at various neighborhood intersections.
- About 290 students at Harmony Elementary School in Blue Valley School District walked to school.
- Students at Brookridge in Shawnee Mission School District worked toward a common goal. If 365 students or more participated, students would earn an extra recess.
- Briarcliff Elementary School in North Kansas City celebrated Walk to School day early on Sept. 29. They walked from Briarcliff Village to the school at 4100 N. Briarcliff Road, and were led by the North Kansas City High School marching band.
Keep walking and biking all year long
Kids that walk or bike to school get much-needed physical activity, burn off excess energy, and arrive in the classroom ready to learn. Many schools around the region have year-round Safe Routes to School programs. We can help with resources for parents and for schools to plan and implement programs like Walking School Buses, Bike Trains, assemblies, mileage clubs, and more.
Get the Walk Safe KC activity book
Want a locally produced activity book that's all about Kansas City and supports biking and walking initiatives? Order this coloring book from BikeWalkKC. 100% of sales go towards BikeWalkKC's Safe Routes to School initiatives. Contact Sarah Shipley at email@example.com.